Sunday 6 February 2011

Gray Matters by Andy Gray

As you'll know I'm not that sympathetic to the Andy Gray/Richard Keys 'sexism' charge – I could be completely wrong, but I think 'dark forces' [aka the Supreme Being] could perhaps be behind what I see as a fit-up.

I was in a charity shop during the week.  Doing what men usually do - or say they are doing - I was looking at the books - honestly, I was. I see a book that catches my eye in the bargain basket with a familiar face on the front cover. Now those of you that frequent the charries will know that the price of books is astonishingly high. £1 for a well thumbed paperback if you are lucky, and £2 or more, for your posh hardback. Much too much, in my opinion.

Well I'm sure you will be happy for me, as the book in question was Andy Gray's autobiography "Gray Matters" - a pristine hardback copy. The 'powers at be' at Age Concern, not usually known for being in touch with popular culture, must have taken the view that Andy Gray was indeed yesterday's man; this quite excellent book, had been marked down (in a charity shop, mind) to the very reasonable price of only 20p. For such a small sum, I just had to have it - I scooped it up out of the basket. We're off on holiday on 9th February and it will be a right riveting read by the poolside.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Now here is the 'funny' bit (or at least I think so).

I get to the counter and give the lady the book with my 20p.  She peruses the book rather sniffily and then looks away avoiding any eye contact. In the silence that intervenes, I stutter somewhat nervously, "I'm not a sexist, you know" hoping to lighten up the apparent pain of the transaction. She just stares back at me without showing any emotion. "Well, I suppose you'll be needing a bag for that", she retorts. She puts the book rather gingerly in a brown paper bag and hands it to me with a look of disgust.  For goodness sake, it was as if I was buying a top shelf title such as my favourite 'Tractor Weekly'.  I retreated out of the shop feeling somewhat guilty and went across the road into Waitrose.

No comments:

Post a Comment